Sea kale (kelp) - brown algae, characterized by a high content of macro- and micronutrients, in particular iodine. Widespread in the northern oceans. For the extraction and processing of algae, laurels of superiority belong to Japan. Laminaria is used in nutrition (for the prevention of endemic goiter), medicine (production of laxatives), cosmetology (to improve skin condition), and agriculture (as a fertilizer).
To fill the daily requirement of the body for iodine, it is enough to consume 40 g of fresh kelp per day. Interestingly, the doctors of ancient China called algae sea ginseng due to its ability to improve well-being, quickly restore human strength. In addition, the composition of cabbage includes sterols ("fighters" with cholesterol), prolonging the youth of the body, preventing the development of atherosclerosis, improving blood counts. These compounds resist the formation of blood clots, normalize the menstrual cycle in the beautiful half of humanity.
The greatest value for the human body is provided by fresh or dried kelp, obtained in cold northern waters. Interestingly, algae grows throughout life (11-18 years) in places with a constant flow and can reach up to 20 m in length.
Eastern countries have long used the product in a variety of ways. Based on it, soups are cooked, sweets, pastille, sauces, salads are prepared. Algae is pickled, frozen, dried, fried or consumed fresh. It is a source of fiber, proteins, polysaccharides, phytosterols, vitamins A, B, C, PP, E, D, K, H, potassium, calcium, sulfur, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, iron, iodine, boron, bromine.
The healing properties of seaweed:
- Disinfects radionuclides, salts of heavy metals, toxins, reduces the risk of cancer. Laminaria owes these properties to biologically active substances - alginates. They are used in the food industry under the codes E400-E404, E406, E421 in the manufacture of ice cream, bread, creams, jellies, jams. Thus, “E” is not always a preservative, sometimes it’s just the ingredients of seaweed that have a beneficial effect on the human body.
- It normalizes the intestines, has a mild laxative effect, is indicated for use in chronic constipation. In the stomach, kelp swells, which causes a reflex increase in intestinal motility.
- Facilitates the process of losing weight, normalizes metabolism.
Seaweed is a low-calorie product (10-25 kcal / 100 g), which, when ingested, dulls hunger for 2-3 hours. As a result, weight loss is easier.
- Replenishes iodine deficiency in the body, due to which the thyroid function normalizes. It treats Bazedov’s disease, endemic goiter, hyperthyroidism.
Interestingly, in the Far East, dry kelp is added to the dough for baking bread, based on the calculation of 0.4 mg of powder per 1 kg.
In addition, sea ginseng replenishes iron stores in the body, eliminating signs of anemia.
- It removes harmful cholesterol, participates in hematopoiesis, regulates blood pressure, improves memory.
- Strengthens the immune system, nourishes the brain.
- Normalizes the menstrual cycle, hormonal levels in women, increases the chances of conception. In addition, it is a powerful aphrodisiac, stimulating activity, sperm viability in men, preventing erectile dysfunction.
Laminaria is a prophylactic against gynecological diseases in women (Trichomonas colpitis, inflammation of the appendages, uterus)
- It improves the condition of the skin, removes the manifestations of cellulite, stretch marks (for external use in the form of masks and wraps).
- Soothes the central nervous system, increases the efficiency of the body, removes from prolonged stress.
Seaweed is a natural restorative and restorative remedy, recommended for use by people after intense mental and physical stress, severe illnesses. The product has immunostimulating, antisclerotic, detoxifying, laxative effects.
Indications for use: loss of strength, depression, overwork, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiency, anemia, obesity, high cholesterol, constipation, hormonal imbalance in women, male sexual weakness, blood diseases, arthritis, rheumatism, rhinitis, sinusitis, bronchitis , pneumonia, prostate adenoma.
Interestingly, with regular use of seaweed, the likelihood of developing breast cancer in women is reduced by 60%.
Brown kelp contains fucoidan, which has blood-thinning properties. It is used in water procedures to eliminate rheumatism, cellulite, obesity.
After extracting kelp from the deep sea, it is subjected to heat treatment and drying, since it consists of more than 85% water. However, these manipulations do not deprive it of its nutritional value. Despite the partial loss of moisture, vitamins and mineral compounds in seaweed are fully preserved.
The chemical composition of the product directly depends on the illumination, water temperature and sea salinity.
The calorie content of fresh seaweed is minimal and amounts to 10-25 kcal per 100 g.
The polysaccharides are dominated by pectins - alginates (75% of the daily requirement of 100 g), and only a small amount falls on starch and sucrose (less than 0.5%).
100 g of the product contains 88 g of water, 3 g of carbohydrates, 2.5 g of organic acids, 0.9 g of protein, 0.6 g of dietary fiber and 0.2 g of fat.
Laminaria can accumulate toxic compounds: strontium, arsenic and cadmium.
|Name||Concentration in 100 grams, milligrams|
|Ascorbic acid (C)||10,0|
|Alpha Tocopherol (E)||0,87|
|Beta Carotene (A)||0,336|
|Folic Acid (B9)||0,18|
Characteristic features of seaweed are a mucous consistency, a rigid structure and a pungent iodine odor.
Sugar and Japanese kelp, with the best taste, are often on sale. They have a soft consistency and are used in cooking in any form: dried, fresh, canned, stewed, dried and frozen. Algae is added to soups, salads, mashed potatoes, stews, casseroles, borscht, pickles, cabbage soup, zrazy and cutlets. It gives a characteristic piquancy to the dish. In addition, seaweed in dry form is ground into powder and used as a seasoning.
Medicinal, technical raw materials are palm-dissected, curly, narrow and northern kelp. It is used in folk medicine, cosmetology and dietetics to maintain health, lose weight, prolong youth and beauty of the body.
First of all, the potential harm of a seemingly so useful product is due to its growth environment. Algae is able to absorb components from the environment. In ecologically polluted areas, seawater may contain traces of radioactive elements, oil and heavy metals. During the growth process, kelp absorbs these substances, which pose a danger to human health, causing intoxication of the body, which eliminates its beneficial properties.
Sea ginseng grown artificially has a high iodine content, therefore it poses a danger to people with hyperthyroidism.
- diseases of the digestive system in the acute phase;
- high sensitivity to iodides;
- tendency to food allergies;
- age up to 3 years;
- disruption of the endocrine system;
- hemorrhagic diathesis;
- kidney disease
- acne, furunculosis.
Caution should be exercised in nursing, pregnant women, so as not to cause abnormalities in the fetus. Laminaria is oversaturated with iodine, which penetrating the placenta in excessive quantities can lead to abnormal development of the child.
How to use
Dry seaweed is used as seasoning for baked fish and first courses. It enhances their taste, gives the food a characteristic sea notes. In addition, dry kelp can be consumed fresh, boiled. For this, the algae is pre-soaked in water for 12 hours. During this time, it swells, then is suitable for use. As such, seaweed is added to salads.
Currently, kelp sheets used to prepare Japanese dishes - sushi - are becoming increasingly popular.
Today, there are more than 300 recipes using a medicinal plant to maintain well-being and vitamins.
Seaweed is combined with many products - rice, pasta, cheese, meat, fish, mushrooms and vegetables. This is a universal raw material for the production of original desserts (sweet cakes, jams), snack cakes. Laminaria is fried with potatoes, dried, marinated and served with any dishes: cereals, vegetables, meat or fish.
Enjoying the sea delicacy, you should follow the norm, which is 100 g of product per day. This amount is enough to cover the body's need for iodine and pantothenic acid. The latter, in turn, stimulates the adrenal glands, which are responsible for the production of adrenaline, which means that there will be no trace of apathy, spleen and depression.
Consider the most popular seaweed recipes.
- kelp sheets - 3 pcs;
- rice for sushi - 175 g;
- sugar - 15 g;
- salt - 2.5 g;
- rice vinegar - 20 ml;
- water - 250 ml;
- cucumber - 1 pc;
- avocado - 1 pc;
- Philadelphia cheese - 100 g;
- salted salmon fillet - 100 g;
- soy sauce;
- pickled ginger.
- Rinse rice under running water 5 times, rubbing the grain between the palms. Drain the cloudy liquid. Pour rice with 250 ml of water, leave for 40 minutes. When the grains swell, you can start cooking. Put the rice on a slow fire, cook until it has absorbed water (12 minutes), stirring constantly. Otherwise, the grains may stick to the pan and the cereal will burn. After boiling water, turn off the fire, remove the container from the hot stove, cover, leave to reach for 30 minutes.
- Make a rice dressing. To do this, sugar, salt, vinegar are mixed, slightly heated to dissolve the spice crystals, introduced into porridge. Rice should absorb the dressing, cool a little.
- Prepare the filling. Peel the cucumber and avocado and slice along with the fish along the length of the kelp leaves with the fish. When the filling is ready to start cooking rolls.
- Makisu (sushi mat) is covered with cling film, on top of which a sheet of kelp is placed. So that the rolls are not dry, the algae is slightly impregnated with dressing. Then, rice is spread in a thin layer on the surface of the kelp, departing from one edge of 3 cm. Slices of cucumber, avocado, fish and soft cheese are spread on top.
- Using a mat, carefully roll up the sausage and cut it with a sharp knife dipped in water into 6-8 parts.
Ready-made rolls are served with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
"Salad of seaweed Mermaid"
- canned cabbage - 100 g;
- wine vinegar - 15 ml;
- crab sticks - 200 g;
- vegetable oil - 50 ml;
- fresh seaweed - 200 g;
- squid - 100 g;
- French mustard - 15 ml;
- Korean carrots - 100 g;
- a mixture of peppers;
- Seaweed is used in salad, both fresh and boiled. In the second case, the algae is dipped in boiling water, cooked for 15 minutes, then thrown into a colander and washed under running water.
- The carcass of raw squid is pre-cleaned of the skin, then boiled for 3 minutes, depending on its size. Cool, cut into strips, as thick as a Korean carrot.
- Grind crab sticks coarsely.
- Prepare dressing from freshly ground mixture of peppers, French mustard, wine vinegar, salt, olive oil. Beat all components with a whisk.
- Mix Korean carrots, seaweed, squid, canned corn, crab sticks.
Before serving, put the salad on a serving dish and pour over the dressing, do not mix.
Laminaria for the body
Sea kale is a healing product extracted from the depths of the sea and is a storehouse of vital vitamins, macro- and microelements. It is used to prepare therapeutic baths and body wraps aimed at normalizing metabolism, eliminating excess fluids, cleansing the body, and eliminating dermatological problems.
For weight loss, kelp is used internally and externally. In the first case, it is introduced into the diet in capsule or tablet form. Preparations based on algae extract normalize the thyroid gland and the course of metabolism, which have a direct effect on human weight.
Effects from external use in the form of wraps, masks, bathtubs:
- increases skin tone;
- improves the external condition of the epidermis (gives smoothness);
- relieves edema;
- reduces sagging derma (has a slight lifting effect);
- accelerates metabolism in skin cells;
- reduces the manifestation of cellulite;
- cleanses the dermis of toxins, toxins;
- prevents the appearance and helps to eliminate stretch marks.
The following forms of release of kelp are distinguished: bioadditive, thallus, powder.
Pills with algae extract are intended for weight loss, prevention of vitamin deficiency, removal of accumulated harmful substances from the body, which inhibit the process of shedding extra pounds during diet therapy.
Thalli of seaweed are used for cold, hot and contrasting wraps with the aim of solving dermatological problems, getting rid of cellulite.
Dried kelp powder is suitable for the preparation of body and face masks. Their main purpose is nutrition and rejuvenation.
They are used to enhance blood flow, smooth cellulite, eliminate inflammatory rashes and remove all keratinized particles from the skin surface, relieve tension. Seaweed baths are recommended for 2 months. To get the maximum benefit for the body, the body is first washed with a scrub or a hard washcloth and only after that the procedure is carried out. The bath is filled with water, 150 g of kelp powder is dissolved in it. The procedure is carried out on an empty stomach. Its duration is 20 minutes. The ideal time is an hour before bedtime.
Contraindications to bathing: cardiovascular diseases, skin wounds, pregnancy, menstruation in women.
After the procedure, the skin does not need to be dried with a towel. Let it soak up the water enriched with kelp and dry naturally.
The main purpose of the procedure is to improve the condition of the skin (increasing the elasticity of the dermis, giving it a smooth and radiant appearance, eliminating cellulite, stretch marks). Wraps with kelp activate biochemical processes, increase blood circulation in fatty tissues. As a result, the skin on the problem areas (buttocks, abdomen, hips, waist) is smoothed and tightened. Before performing the procedure, the skin is cleaned with a scrub.
Instructions for use:
- Powder from kelp (160 g) is dissolved in hot water 60 degrees (5 l). This amount is enough to process the whole body. Stir the paste thoroughly for 2 minutes until smooth.
- For active weight loss, a warm composition of kelp is applied to problem areas 20 minutes after preparation.
If the main goal of the procedure is to fortify the epidermis or increase skin tone, the paste is pre-cooled for 1 hour and only then distributed throughout the body.
- After applying the product to the skin, the areas are wrapped with cling film and left for 50 minutes, then washed off with water. Do not wipe the dermis with a towel.
The frequency of the procedure is 1-2 days. The duration of the course is 2 months. To accelerate the result, wraps with kelp are combined with physical activity and diet. Only with an integrated approach can the desired result be achieved.
Algae products are used to eliminate acne, oily sheen, dryness, irritation and peeling of the skin, smoothing wrinkles and old scars, narrowing pores, brightening freckles and age spots. Masks from kelp nourish, tone, moisturize, rejuvenate the dermis, have anti-inflammatory and anti-stress effects, and correct facial contours. Beauticians recommend using them to care for aging, aging and sagging skin. In addition, there are special recipes aimed at combating increased fat content and excessive dryness of the dermis.
For cosmetic purposes, use dry brown algae or dried kelp, sold in pharmacies. In any case, they should be ground into powder.
The base for the masks is prepared equally. Dry chopped algae (15 g) must be poured with warm water (100 ml) and leave them to swell and soften (15 minutes). After that, the paste is immediately applied to the cleansed face or mixed with additional ingredients.
Remember, sea ginseng gives a long-lasting cosmetic result, and therefore the procedure should not be repeated more often 1-2 times a week.
Contraindications for use:
- extensive inflammation on the face (seaweed improves blood circulation in the local area of application, which threatens to accelerate the spread of infection);
- skin rash;
- allergy to iodine;
- rosacea (will make the vascular network even more noticeable);
- pregnancy and lactation.
Laminaria has slippery leaves, so masks based on it should be applied to the face in a horizontal position (lying). The ingredients are selected based on the needs and type of dermis.
Recipes for sea ginseng masks:
- Based on clay. Increases skin elasticity, tightens pores, improves blood circulation in the epidermis, helps get rid of black spots.
Ingredients: blue clay - 5 g, dry seaweed - 5 g, warm boiled water - 5 ml. Principle of preparation: mix the rest of the ingredients with the swollen algae until a homogeneous mass is obtained. Apply the paste on the face for 15 minutes, rinse with water without using cosmetics.
To care for problem skin prone to inflammation, an additional ingredient is introduced into the composition - the pulp of a fresh aloe leaf - 5 g.
- Honey-oil composition. Used to smooth wrinkles. It has a mild effect even on the sensitive dermis. This is a universal tool for the care of any type of skin, regardless of age.
The fruit sugars found in honey retain moisture in the cells, preventing the dermis from drying out. In addition, it is an excellent antiseptic that promotes wound healing and has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
Oil nourishes the skin, relieves it of dryness, tightness and peeling. This is a natural source of polyunsaturated fatty acids and tocopherol, which prolong the youthfulness of the epidermis and inhibit the aging process.
Mask ingredients: flower honey - 5 ml, seaweed powder - 5 g, olive oil - 3 drops. The principle of preparation, application and removal of the composition from the face is the same as in the first case.
- Gelatin. It contains collagen, which penetrates the skin and stops age-related changes in it, removes wrinkles. As a result, the complexion improves and its contour is tightened, black spots disappear, the dermis is rejuvenated, the sebaceous glands normalize. The mask is used to care for aging oily skin.
Ingredients: edible gelatin - 5 g, dried seaweed - 5 g, decoction of herbs - 50 ml. As the basis for the mask, you can use milk, fruit or vegetable fresh.
Method of preparation: pour gelatin into a warm decoction of herbs, put it to swell, then warm it in a water bath. When the composition becomes liquid, enter the prepared swollen kelp, remove from heat. Apply a warm mask to your face, wait until it hardens. Mimic movements should be avoided at this time. Rinse the frozen product with warm water.
Thus, masks from seaweed tighten, soothe the skin, relieve inflammation, stress and fatigue. This is a universal means of "beauty guidance", which is suitable for the care of dry, oily, combination, sensitive, problematic and aging derma.
Laminaria sea kale is a nutritious product that, thanks to its rich chemical composition, is appreciated in all corners of the globe. The beneficial properties of algae have been known since ancient China and Japan. Today it is called sea ginseng due to the high content of a vital trace element - iodine.
Seaweed is indispensable in the prevention of coronary heart disease, thyroid disease, breast cancer, hypertension, vascular atherosclerosis, it neutralizes radionuclides, normalizes intestinal function and metabolism.
Safe daily allowance - 100 g.
Laminaria is famous for its bactericidal properties, therefore it is used in medicine and cosmetology to treat inflammation of the female organs, skin rejuvenation. Green and brown algae powder is added to relaxing baths, face masks, wrapping mixes. This is one of the best tools to combat age-related changes in the dermis, eliminate acne, smooth wrinkles and eliminate cellulite. Iodine regulates the production of sebum, dries acne. Ascorbic acid is a natural antioxidant known for its anti-aging properties. Niacin bleaches the dermis, improves complexion. Choline removes oily sheen and soothes skin prone to rashes. Calcium evens out its relief, potassium moisturizes, and iron nourishes cells with oxygen, normalizes subcutaneous blood circulation. As a result, metabolic processes improve, the second chin, swelling and bags under the eyes go away.