Joint vitamins are biologically active substances that support the health of the bone and cartilage systems, which, in turn, participate in mineral metabolism, protect internal organs from damage, and perform motor and supporting functions.
Deficiency of nutrients in the body worsens the ability of the spine to divide, grow and regenerate cells. As a result, a person experiences stiffness in movements, painful joints appear, a characteristic “crunch”, tightness, swelling, redness of the skin, and sensitivity is impaired. In this case, the condition is aggravated after physical exertion. The main thing is to catch on time!
How do vitamins affect the human musculoskeletal system? Nutrients do not selectively affect specific organs. They act comprehensively on the human body, including joints, bones: they participate in immune, metabolic, enzymatic processes, and redox reactions. So, ascorbic acid, together with rutin strengthens the walls of blood vessels, reduces their permeability. As a result, it prevents the possibility of hemorrhage in the tissues and joints.
What you need to know about joints
The joint is a movable joint of the bones of the skeleton, covered with an articular bag and synovial membrane. These elements are separated by a gap. In the skeleton, the joints are located in places of pronounced movements, where flexion-extension, pronation-supination, abduction-adduction, rotation occur. To mitigate the effects of shocks, additional depreciation, they contain lubricant (synovial fluid) in the cavity.
According to statistics, 30% of the world's population suffers from joint disorders. This is every third to fourth person! If earlier this disease in 95% of cases affected the musculoskeletal system of the elderly, then in the 21st century it progresses among young people. The reason for such dramatic changes is an incorrect lifestyle, a lack of vitamins, macro- and microelements in the body, and a genetic predisposition. The lack of regular physical activity leads to a weakening of the ligamentous-muscular system. And overweight, running and fighting increase the load on the movable joints of the bones of the skeleton, which leads to injury.
Other causes of joint diseases:
- mechanical factor;
- infectious agents;
- endocrine pathologies;
- violation of the blood supply to the movable joints of the skeleton bones.
Low motor activity, patient gender, hypothermia, malnutrition, obesity are only risk factors.
Interestingly, the most mobile joint in the human body is the shoulder. Thanks to its spherical shape, it allows you to raise, lower, rotate (out, in), take your hand back.
Depending on the nature of the course, diseases of the musculoskeletal system are divided into the following groups:
- arthrosis (with degenerative-dystrophic processes);
- arthritis (inflammatory lesion).
The latter are divided into mono- / oligoarthritis, polyarthritis and arthralgia.
If treatment is not started, the number of affected joints will increase, the course of the disease will become more complicated, which will eventually lead to the development of disability. By the age of 70, more than 60% of the world's population suffers from arthrosis.
Vitamins and Minerals
There are 187 joints in the human body. They provide a coordinated work of bone and muscle tissue. It is interesting that during the day the joints contract under the weight of their own body and by the evening a person is 1 centimeter lower than in the morning. During sleep, they straighten, acquire a "starting" position.
Bones form the body framework, and joints are responsible for its mobility. Their normal functioning is possible only in the presence of all nutrients (vitamins, macro- and microelements). Therefore, it is important to organize proper nutrition, taking into account a sufficient number of necessary nutrients.
Let us consider in detail which vitamins and minerals to use to prolong youth and preserve the health of muscles, bones, joints, ligaments:
- Vitamin A. Provides the correct laying of epithelial, cartilage, bone tissue. The lack of vitamin A in the body is characterized by a weakening of the immune system, creates favorable conditions for the development of infectious diseases, causes osteoporosis, which provokes fractures of the limbs and spine. In addition, beta-carotene exhibits antioxidant properties that slow down the aging of the body and protects joints from age-related atrophic, deformation changes. Due to these functions, it is called the "vitamin of youth."
- Vitamins E and C. Tocopherol enhances the regenerative properties in the body, inhibits the aging process, eliminates free radicals, which destructively affect the shell of the joints. Interestingly, ascorbic acid is required to absorb vitamins A, E. It has a pronounced antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect, resists the development of joint diseases of viral etiology. Vitamin C potentiates the production of natural collagen necessary for building cartilage, epithelial, and connective tissues.
One of the most common autoimmune diseases is rheumatoid arthritis. This is a pathology of connective tissue, which mainly manifests itself in chronic inflammation of the joints (knees, hands, ankles, ankle). The disease develops imperceptibly, gradually, antibodies begin to accumulate in the body, which attack their own tissues. As a result, the affected joints are deformed, cease to function normally.
According to clinical studies, a catastrophic deficiency of ascorbic acid was found in the body of patients with rheumatoid arthritis - 90% below normal.
- Vitamins of group B. They have an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. In addition, they are responsible for the absorption and subsidence of magnesium in joints and bones, salt, mineral metabolism. Pantothenic acid (B5) relieves pain in mobile joints of bones. Pyridoxine (B6) strengthens the collagen layer on bone tissue. Cyanocobalamin (B12) supports the work of cells that synthesize bone mass.
- Vitamin D. Participates in phosphate-calcium metabolism, resists the destruction of cartilage.
- Selenium. It enhances the action of antioxidants, shows a pronounced anesthetic effect, relieves pain. Selenium prevents tissue damage, improves the absorption of trace elements, accelerates the healing of damaged compounds. It is used in complex therapy for the treatment of the knee joint.
- Copper. It prevents the destruction of cartilage, strengthens the connective tissue, frees the tissue from an excess of free radicals that interfere with the restoration of the mobile joints of the skeleton bones. Copper along with ascorbic acid enhances collagen production and saturates cells with oxygen. It exhibits pronounced antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-rheumatic properties.
- Calcium. This is the main macroelement for building bone, cartilage. Calcium is absorbed only in the presence of vitamin D in the body. He is prescribed in the treatment of osteochondrosis, osteoporosis, problems with joints and spine, bone injuries.
To avoid increased load on the joints, monitor the weight. Remember, obesity is the main cause of arthrosis.
Due to overweight, the knee and hip joints are at risk, because they must maintain pressure, while performing their functions. In addition, excess fat is deposited around the articular bag, slowing down the supply of nutrients to it, which causes rapid wear and deterioration of the functioning of the skeletal joints.
Essential substances for joints
Today, many of us are faced with the question of whether to use vitamin complexes effectively in order to improve the functional state of bones, joints that are manufactured industrially or whether it is preferable to natural sources of nutrients obtained with food. It should be noted that at present the food is very processed. Food products are grown on soils depleted or overfed with mineral fertilizers. For better transportation, vegetables are often harvested in green, not suitable for consumption. Unripe foods lack vitamins and minerals in sufficient quantities. In addition, long-term storage of vegetables negatively affects their chemical composition. As a result, the "fresh" products coming to the store shelves are pre-depleted in vitamins and minerals.
To maintain the health of the body as a whole and joints, in particular, a modern person from time to time (at least 2 times a year) should “feed” his bone and cartilage tissue with the help of bioadditives, vitamin complexes containing a daily norm of nutrients. This will avoid the development of degenerative processes in the joints, arthrosis, arthritis, fractures and injuries.
- Methylsulfonylmethane. Strengthens bones, joints, ligaments, participates in the synthesis of collagen, regulates metabolic processes in tissues, eliminates seizures. Methylsulfonylmethane is a bioadditive with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Hyaluronic acid. It is a non-sulfonated glycosaminoglycan, which is part of the epithelial, nervous, connective tissues and retains moisture in the cells. This is an important component of articular cartilage, responsible for its resistance to compression. It is interesting that the human body independently produces hyaluronic acid, but with age its amount decreases and becomes lower than normal. As a result, the mobility of the joints is very difficult, there is a need to make up for the missing component.
The normal functioning of the joints is impossible without hyaluronic acid.
- S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e). Accelerates the regeneration of cartilage, relieves pain in the joints. Under the influence of S-adenosylmethionine, the cells renew, grow.
SAM-e dietary supplement is an indispensable drug in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Chondroitin. This is a kind of building material for cartilage. Chondroitin is used to treat joints of the limbs and knees. Together with vitamins A, B, C, E, D, it accelerates the restoration of cartilage, and allows achieving a stable long-term remission of joint diseases.
- Glucosamine. It is a component of chondroitin, promotes the regeneration of cartilage, is part of the synovial fluid, has an antirheumatic effect. It is used in the treatment of arthrosis. Glucosamine restores enzymatic processes in the cells of the articular cartilage and synovial membrane, inhibits degenerative reactions and pain in the joints of the skeleton bones.
A balanced diet is the key to the strength of joints, bones of normal calcium-phosphorus metabolism and the health of the musculoskeletal system. To accelerate the rehabilitation process, patients with pathologies of the spine and extremities are recommended to additionally take dietary supplements and preparations, which include vitamins A, B, C, E, D, selenium, calcium, copper, methylsulfonylmethane, hyaluronic acid, S-adenosylmethionine, chondroitin, glucosamine . In the diet, it is recommended to focus on food with cartilage (cold, aspic, concentrated broths).
Remember, nutrients from food are more easily absorbed by the body, have a more lasting result than vitamin preparations made synthetically.
However, to get the maximum benefit, they must be of high quality, ripe, freshly picked and grown in a favorable ecological environment, without the use of poisons and chemicals.
Vitamin and mineral complexes for joints
- "Arthrivit." The composition of the drug includes: vitamins B5, B6, C, D, copper, manganese, glucosamine, selenium, silicon, boron, extracts of Scutellaria root, licorice rhizomes, alfalfa, black cohosh. Pharmacological action: stimulates the metabolism and nourishes the tissues of the joint. Improves flexibility, relieves stiffness, swelling, pain and crunch in moving joints. Method of application: 2 capsules twice a day for a month.
- SustaNorm. The complex contains chondroitin sulfate, bromelain, glucosamine sulfate, vitamin C, manganese. It is used for infectious arthritis, gout, degenerative, inflammatory joint diseases. "SustaNorm" is recommended to be used as a preventive measure for people who experience strong loads on mobile joints of bones, in particular, athletes. The vitamin complex is taken 1 tablet in the morning and afternoon for 3 months.
- Collagen Ultra. The drug is an easily digestible form of collagen of animal origin, a protein concentrated in nails, bones, cartilage and tendons. The complex contains vitamin C, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, collagen hydrolyzate. Bioadditive is prescribed to strengthen the articular apparatus, restore the cartilage surface of the menisci. The contents of the bag are diluted in 200 milliliters of water and consumed 1 time per day with the main meal. The course of admission is 1.5 months.
- Calcemin. Regulates the exchange of phosphorus and calcium in the body, strengthens bones, joints. Used for the treatment and prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system (osteoporosis), teeth, periodontal disease. Active substances of the drug: cholecalciferol, copper, zinc, citrate and calcium carbonate, boron, manganese.
In order to avoid the development of hypocalcemia, Calcemin is prescribed for pregnant, lactating women, as well as children and adolescents during the period of active growth.
Method of application: 1 tablet 2 times a day before meals. Children under 12 years old are recommended to halve the daily dose. The course of vitamin therapy is 30 days.
- Orthomol Arthro Plus. Active ingredients of the drug: fish oil, gelatin, glucosamine, chondroitin, carotenoids, glycine, vitamins A, D, B, E, zinc, selenium, calcium. The tool is used for arthritic changes to restore cartilage structures.
"Ortomol Arthro Plus" is a medical food supplement designed to maintain the health of the musculoskeletal system during heavy loads, after injuries, operations. The daily norm is 2 capsules once a day during a meal. The duration of treatment is 1 month.
To maintain the bones and spine in shape, pay attention to Calcium D3 Complivit, prevention of osteochondrosis - Pentovit, Unicap, Calcium D3 Nycomed, Alfacalcidol, Weleda-Aufbuaukalk, Meller, Arthro Balance a plus".
With arthrosis, arthritis, drugs that strengthen joint tissue are prescribed. They should include vitamins A, E, C. They include: "Ortomol Arthro plus", "Decamevit", "Duovit", "Antioxicans".
Joint disease prevention
Bones form the skeleton of the human body, and joints provide its mobility. Take care of your body in advance, do not allow problems with the musculoskeletal system to occur. Prevention is the basis of health.
How to strengthen the movable joints of the skeleton and not deprive yourself of free movement in space?
Consider what is beneficial for articular tissue:
- Hardening.Regular dousing with cold water increases the body's resistance to infections, trains the vessels, which favorably affects the blood supply to the joint tissues.
- Healthy lifestyle. Rid yourself of extra pounds, give up bad habits. Maintain mobility and activity to keep cartilage in good condition. This will ensure the production of lubricant (synovial fluid) in sufficient quantities.
It is useful to regularly give a load on the joints: to master therapeutic exercises, to carry out long hour and a half walks, to swim.
Constantly train your muscles, they serve as a kind of "insurance for the joints." Refuse from tight shoes, from which legs hurt, go to the correct orthopedic.
- Balanced diet. To nourish and strengthen cartilage, it is recommended to use foods rich in mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins (especially A, E, C), calcium.
If the first symptoms of the inflammatory process appear in the joint tissue (redness, burning, swelling, crunching, pain), immediately consult a doctor (traumatologist) for diagnosis and treatment of the disease. In the early stages, arthritis and arthrosis respond better to medical therapy than in neglected form.
Healthy and unhealthy food for joints
Nutrition, supporting the health of the musculoskeletal system:
- Mucopolysaccharides are found in seaweed, shrimp, algae (agar-agar), mussels, gelatin, cartilage and bone of fish, poultry. They act as a natural lubricant. So, they ensure the preservation of cartilage tissue. Include the following dishes in the diet: strong broths, aspic, jelly, rich soups.
- Products containing iron. They remove phosphorus from the body, which impedes the absorption of calcium from the intestine. These include: tongue, eggs, red lean meat.
- Citrus fruits, sources of vitamin C. The largest amount of ascorbic acid is concentrated in rosehips and currants.
- Foods rich in magnesium. Necessary to maintain the health of the nerve endings that serve the joints. Useful: prunes, green vegetables, dates, soybeans, bran, cocoa, oatmeal, raisins, buckwheat honey.
- Dairy products containing calcium. Focus on milk, cottage cheese and cheese.
- Foods containing healthy omega-type unsaturated fatty acids. Natural sources: mackerel, herring, sardine, olive oil.
- Foods rich in vitamin D - butter, egg yolks, fish liver. Prevent the destruction of cartilage, softening of bones, deformation of the joints.
- Raw vegetables. Fresh products contain the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals that are responsible for the preservation of bone and cartilage. The priority is garlic (relieves inflammation), sweet pepper (nourishes cartilage), spinach (helps renew tissues), cherries (removes salt), avocados (prevents the thinning of the cartilage layer).
Exclude from the menu cakes with sweet cream, smoked sausages, which hinder the mobility of the joints. Replace fried foods with boiled, baked, stewed ones. Refuse the use of soda, fatty sweets in favor of natural fruit jellies, compote, fruit drinks, jelly, freshly squeezed juices.
To cover the daily rate of calcium in the body, daily use 1 liter of kefir or milk, 100 grams of cottage cheese, 20 grams of goat cheese. Do not drink these coffee products or strong tea, do not eat them with sour greens - rhubarb, sorrel, spinach. Drink at least 2 liters of water per day.
Joint vitamins are useful compounds that support the mobility of the human skeleton. They strengthen bones, ligament and tendon structure, are responsible for the production of cartilage cells, block the activity of interleukins in the lubricant, accelerate the growth of damaged elements.
The main nutrients for the joints: copper, selenium, calcium, beta-carotene, ascorbic and pantothenic acids, tocopherol, cyanocobalamin, pyridoxine. Deficiency of active substances in the body leads to thinning of the bone, stunting and softening of the cartilage, which creates favorable conditions for increased injuries and joint deformities.
To maintain the health of the musculoskeletal system, enrich the daily diet with useful products for ligaments and take vitamin and mineral complexes at least 2 times a year for preventive purposes. In case of pain, edema in places of mobile joints of the skeleton, urgently consult a doctor.